HIV medication subject to tenders
The Norwegian parliament has decided that medicines supplied through the hospitals shall be subject to a tender in order to reduce costs. This also applies to drugs for treating HIV infection. Hospitals are obliged to prioritize those medicines that won the tender. The HIV treatment that has the first priority, is called emtricitabine/tenofovirdisoproxil from [medical company] Accord and darunavir/kobicistat (Rezolsta) from [medical company] Jansse
Upon your next appointment at your hospital, your doctor may ask you to switch to the medicines that won the tender (10 different HIV treatments in priority order). He/she will have to tell you that this is for financial reasons.
It is claimed that the drugs that won the tender have the same quality as more recent drugs. HivNorway believes this is not the case. We cannot find studies confirming this, and if so, why haven’t these drugs been more commonly used as a treatment combination earlier?
If the medicines and active substances that are included in the tenders previously have given you side effects, or if you find it difficult to adhere to two pills daily, you can ask your doctor to continue the medicines you use today. If you have experienced medication changes due to side effects or interactions, this is also a valid medical reason for you to continue on your present prescription.
One of the drugs that is part of the winning tender (Rezolta), has interactions with other medicines – also supplements. Hence you should inform your doctor about all the medicines and supplements you take on a daily basis.
If you think it is impossible for you to use these medicines because of side effects or it is difficult for you to take more than one pill daily, your doctor is allowed to justify continuing your present prescription for medical reasons .
If you have any other questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach us by phone 21314580, via Messenger, on our Facebook page (HivNorge) or via email.
These are the combinations that won the tender:
- Emtricitabin/tenofovirdisoproksil from Accord, and darunavir/kobicistat (Rezolsta) from Janssen.
- Abakavir/lamivudin (Kivexa) from GSK and darunavir/kobicistat (Rezolsta) from Janssen
- Abakavir/lamivudin from Mylan and darunavir/kobicistat (Rezolsta) from Janssen.
- Emtricitabin/tenofovirdisoproksil from Accord and raltegravir (Isentress) from MSD.
- Abakavir/lamivudin (Kivexa) from GSK.
- Abakavir/lamivudin from Mylan and raltegravir (Isentress) from MSD.
- Emtricitabin/tenofovirdisoproksil from Accord and dolutegravir (Tivicay) from GSK.
- Abakavir/lamivudin (Kivexa) and dolutegravir (Tivicay) from GSK.
- Abakavir/lamivudin from Mylan and dolutegravir (Tivicay) from GSK.
- Abakavir/lamivudin/dolutegravir (Triumeq) from GSK.
The results of a new tender will be published around December 1, 2019. The prioritised list will most likely look different to the one above.
→ Vil du jobbe frivillig i Sverige?
Posithiva Gruppen, Sveriges største pasientorganisasjon for mennesker som lever med hiv, søker en ungdom (18-30 år) som selv lever med hiv, og som vil jobbe frivillig for organisasjonen i ni måneder (mars-desember 2021). Dette er en del av EU-programmet EU Solidarity Corps.
→ Verdens aidsdag 2020
Verdens aidsdag har siden 1987 vært en solidaritetsmarkering for over 36 millioner mennesker som lever med hiv og aids i verden. Vi minnes de over 25 millioner menneskene som har mistet livet i denne pandemien. Hver og en er noens familie og venn. 37 av disse var mine venner og bekjente.